Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Re: firewalls and MTU - using ping?

Adam Hardy on 22/10/10 13:36, wrote:
> I have a small LAN at home connected up to the net via a DSL modem on a
> gateway machine running lenny and iptables.
>
> I have a problem with some software running on a windows machine on the
> LAN where the company who wrote the sofware say that there must be
> something wrong with my internet connection, but can't help any further.
>
> I'd like to know what tests I can run to verify that my config and my
> firewall are OK, especially regarding PMTU.
>
> I had an issue before this which I solved by adding some ICMP related
> rules to iptables, and by disabling the firewall on my DSL modem, which
> is undocumented by the manufacturer (and denied by their Support). It's
> iptables running on an embedded linux and resets itself every power
> cycle. I think it does ICMP clamping but I can telnet onto the modem and
> drop the rules (as long as I remember).
>
> What can I do with ping? This ping command gives suspicious results:
>
> ping -s 1473 mktgw1.ibllc.com
>
> One byte less and it works. Fragmentation also works for normal websites
> like news.bbc.co.uk.
>
> I'd massively appreciate any help with this! I'm stuck with either my
> own mistake, or until I can prove I haven't made one.

The main thing to prove that my gateway, firewall, LAN, modem and all are OK is
to find a command, e.g. ping, which will demonstrate that PMTU isn't working
between me and mktgw1.ibllc.com - or maybe that something else is bust, not PMTU.

I mean, maybe with the concentration on firewalls and all that here, maybe this
list isn't the place to ask and I need to ask somewhere else - suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Adam


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-firewall-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CC30FC4.2010301@cyberspaceroad.com

No comments: