Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Re: controlling p2p & bittorrent

Tim Clewlow wrote at 2010-07-25 11:32 -0500:
> > Does anyone have a shaping setup that tries to be fair where p2p is
> > concerned, with miminal/no ingress shaping?
>
> I use priority base queuing on outgoing connections. dont use any
> kind of bandwidth limiting on incoming as I dont see how that would
> really do anything. I use pf as my firewall on a bsd box, but the
> proiritisations would be the same for any firewall. It works for me,
> I used to have a similar problem with p2p hogging all the outgoing
> bandwidth, now I dont, and p2p still runs fine.
>
> The following is taken from my firewall rules, the higher numbered
> priorities *always* get put ahead of lower priorities.
>
> queue ssh on $ext_if priority 15 priq
> queue dns on $ext_if priority 10 priq
> queue http on $ext_if priority 5 priq
> queue other on $ext_if priority 3 priq
> queue hogs on $ext_if priority 1 priq (default)

Thanks; I will try a setup more like this. I think I already tried a
significantly lower priority (hfsc linkshare) for the host running bittorrent
but it did not help. Anyway I will work with it some more.

Also I suppose that egress shaping differs between ISPs and this problem might
come and go between providers.

No comments: